Thursday, May 20, 2010

Let Me Be A Woman HUMILITY / Elisabeth Elliot / Children / Mothers Day Series

Prayer # 19:  Humility


Lord, please cultivate in my children the ability to "show true humility towards all". (Titus 3:2)



Philippians  2:5-8 
Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.  Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 

=====================================
Let Me Be A Woman by  Elisabeth Elliot


Chapter 19:  Is Submission Stifling?

Elisabeth refers to a letter of protest from an alumna at a college where she had been the guest speaker:  To invite a speaker to tell the women who have just been chosen as the most academically gifted in the entire graduating class that their highest fulfillment is to be found in subjecting themselves to a man in marriage is incredible in this day and age...Why is this college educating women if their primary calling is to be motherhood?

I have been in discussions of this nature many times myself.  I have a broad variety of friendships from childhood, college, professional life, community service, church...more than a few could have easily written this letter and to be honest, I could have, too, many  years ago before I was a Christian.  Being a wife and mother by no means denies or belittles the other gifts that you have been blessed with.  A college education although liberal in most institutions, still, can draw out the gifts that God has given you, whatever they may be.  For myself, I discovered the gifts of leadership, hospitality, compassion and acceptance for others different from me; more skill than I realized in the areas of music, sports, language and mathematics as well as a sense of completing something that was extremely difficult.  

Women don't go to college because they do not expect to be married.  Some even go with that as their primary reason for attending (a BIG mistake in my opinion).   A well-educated woman makes a better wife and mother and as far as being a wife and mother being the reasons why we were designed the way we are...well, as Elisabeth says, that wasn't my idea, after all--I got it out of The Book.


I will add that upon graduation a big issue is in the area of humility (good timing for the verse above  for your children).  Being a wife and mom is a life of humble service to your family.   A noble thing in the eyes of the Lord.  Do I use the gifts that I discovered in college?  You bet I do...many  of them every single day, but humility has and probably always will be a lesson that God wants me to learn and understand   well as His Son did.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...