Sunday, May 23, 2010

First Watermelon of the Season / Loaded Baked Potatoes / Almost Meatless Meal

In our home we love watermelons in the summer.  Technically it's still spring although here in Florida it feels like summer with temperatures in the low 90's already.  I saw watermelons at Sam's Club this week  and bought one.  I can never tell if they're good or not and took a chance since it was a little early in the season.  This one was quite large, about $6.00.   $5.00 or less is more reasonable to me.




I cut it in half.  Looks good so far.  For the size, I expected more fruit. This one has about a 3/4 inch rind on the inside.




I cut it in to large chunks  bowl for the frig (left dish) ; smaller pieces for dinner (right dish).


Delicious!  It is my tradition to buy at least one per week once they "come into season", which I guess, is now.  (Much to the delight of my family.)  

Although the watermelon was the focal point of the meal, I wanted some other fresh things to serve as well.  I had some potatoes in a basket and baked two white and two sweet potatoes.  They look so plain and non-appetizing here even after having been baked.



But slice them open, add some dark green fresh steamed broccoli, some chopped cheddar cheese, a couple of pieces of bacon and a little sour cream / butter and voila!  :)   Simple ingredients, minimal meat, served with a little flair.  The watermelon adds the "red lipstick" to the plate.




Our dinner:
  • Loaded baked potatoes with broccoli
  • Fresh homemade bread
  • Fresh watermelon

1 comment:

Virginia Knowles said...

Tonya, my loaded baked potato blog post is here: http://virginiaknowles.blogspot.com/2010/04/baked-potato-night-and-other-buffet.html

We tend to have more toppings since we have a large family, usually serving at least 10 people for dinner.

I'm not a watermelon lover, but I did buy a large papaya, a pineapple and some kiwis yesterday. Time for a tropical fruit salad!

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...