Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Choosing the Right Bonsai

I know absolutely nothing about bonsai trees. My sweet husband has wanted one for ages and finally bought one at Disney World in January. Unfortunately it did not look like it was doing well this week.  We decided to go to a REAL Japanese bonsai nursery (I did not know there was such a thing) to get an opinion as to what to do for it.   We found one about 30 minutes away from our house, so we drove there on Saturday afternoon.  One little Oriental man  owns this nursery.  He took one look at our bonsai and said:  Dead.  No roots.  No good.   I thought my husband might cry.   :(


So I suggested we just get another REAL one here with someone who has them as their main business.  The search began.  I never knew there were so many types or that there was even a significant market for these types of plants. I just thought it was a secret Japanese tradition how they were grown.   To my surprise, this is what we found:

Hundreds of plants being trained to be bonsais...there must be lots of secret bonsai owners out there...











This one is about 50 years old!




So, an hour later,  after much hunting and dickering...

...my husband found a new "pet" and we came home with this one.  It is living happily on our back porch.  No, we didn't pay $79.90; ours was $19.90.   Mission accomplished and my hubby is now a happy one.  :)

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...