Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Let Me Be A Woman Pride / Elisabeth Elliot / Children / Mothers Day Series

Let Me Be A Woman
by  Elisabeth Elliot


Chapter 7:  The Right Kind of Pride
The pride that Elisabeth is referring to here as she puts it, is the idea that God had when He made each of us.  He is in love with his destiny. (paraphrased via Isak Dinesen, from Out of  Africa).  Some women whose vision is grotesquely distorted are trying to redefine for us a woman's "success", and to tell us that our happiness lies not in the idea of God in the making of us but in obliterating that idea altogether.  Of course, she is referring to the feminist movement that arose in the 1960s.  

The rest of this short chapter gives examples of what Valerie saw growing up at a very young age among the Auca Indians of  South America.  She observed the distinct roles of the men and women in all aspects of daily life. What she took away from it all, bottom line, when asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, said--I want to be a mommie.  

Throughout my college years and into my mid-20s, I fell hook, line and sinker into the feminist movement and never would have believed that I would be as content as I am now as a wife and mother.  That time came in my mid-30s and I am SO glad that it did.  I really do know firsthand that restless feeling, always searching and trying to deny what I knew to be true.  God's ways really are best.
========================================
Prayer for Your Children:  Self-Control

Father, help my children not to be like many others around them, but let them "be alert and self-controlled" in all they do. (1 Thessalonians 5:4-7)

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...