Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fresh Salad on a Hot Day

Whew!  All of a sudden, summer has hit Florida.   Some days you just want to stay wet in the pool or air conditioning. It's all I can do to take a morning walk  and even then I carry a 32-oz. water bottle, drinking the whole thing before I return.

Days like that call for a healthy lunch or supper salad.  With just a few ingredients you can whip up a delicious-looking, tasty salad for your family using a minimum amount of meat (thereby stretching your food $$).  Here's a recipe for one that we enjoy:

Start with a generous amount of greens, any kind.  We often get the Spring Mix from Sam's Club that has various types of lettuces.  TIP:  It lasts about a week or more if I put one or two absorbent paper towels between the  layers of lettuce in the box.  I could eat just a "greens" salad. Doesn't this look fresh and tasty?



Next, chop up some onions. I prefer the small green ones for added color.



I add some steak strips (chicken is good, too), tomatoes and cheese (this is Feta).



Stir fry the meat which takes about 1 minute.  [If you're going to serve this on baked potatoes rather than greens, add onions and let them caramelize.  The smell is wonderful!]


Put the meat on top of the greens and add some sort of fruit as well. I have used mandarin oranges. Raisins are good, too, plus a few peanuts.  Serve with crackers or bread, water or wine.  Delicious, colorful, quick and very healthy and filling as well.  


We eat lots of salads especially in the warmer months so I buy these ingredients in large quantities at Sam's Club which is right around the corner from us. You can't go wrong if your ingredients are fresh and good.

TIP:  Any meal needs a balance of flavors and textures:  soft and crunchy, sweet and salty, chewy and smooth.  These combinations make a perfect meal, whatever you're serving.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...