Thursday, May 27, 2010

School's Out for Summer

Today is our official last day of school--homeschool 10th grade --for my younger son.  He actually finished all his home assignments  the first week of May but his Spanish teacher needed a few more weeks to finish the book.   In addition  I had signed him up for an intensive math review class (study skills, Algebra 1 and Geometry) during the month of May to start prepping him for the college SAT's  which he will begin taking next Spring in 11th grade.

My son's math class is quite a ways from our home and making the trip 2x a week this month really eats into the week (1 hour round trip; 2-hour class= 6 hours a week for 4 weeks).  He's got his learner's permit so I have been letting him drive this month and it has been a good talking and training time.  As a perk, we stop at Chick-fil-A on ONE of the trips and pick up lunch.  :)


I've been using the time that I wait for him (2 hours)  to hang out at our local seminary bookstore  (Reformed Theological Seminary) where I talk to the students, some professors and usually run into friends who either attend RTS or are visiting the store.  (The seminary is literally one street away from the math teacher's home.)   I also work on my Ebay listings, write blogs, balance the checkbooks, cut coupons or other projects while I'm there.    I took these photos last week in anticipation of writing this blog since the store is closed this week for inventory.  It's really quite nice, the manager is very friendly and they have GREAT coffee. I even have my own coffee card since I'm a "regular".




Here is "my"  table that I stake out each week. 





This is the  local woodpecker who flies into the window on a regular basis.



This week since the bookstore is closed I shopped at the nearby thrift store on Tuesday and bought several Ebay / Amazon  inventory items to resell; today I'll go to a branch of our local library and work on my Let Me Be A Woman series for this blog.  I'll end it on May 31 and begin a new series June 1, probably a practical book although I may write my thoughts on the men's book Wild at Heart.  I wish I'd read it when my sons were very young.  

School's out for summer for us after 12:30 p.m. today.   Next week I order all the books  my son will need for 11th grade and do our lesson plans early so that I can REALLY be on vacation until early August. :)  Have a great Thursday.






No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...