Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Notes from OGC's 2010 Women's Retreat / If God Is So Good, Why Do I Hurt So Bad ?

Someone from my church asked to read my notes from our women's retreat this past  weekend.  I decided to put them here to make them legible and so others can read them as well.    The theme for the retreat:  If God Is So Good, Why Do I Hurt So Bad?   Our speaker was a woman whose three-year-old son had drowned in 1999.  The weekend was a discussion of suffering--its origins, its purpose and the hope we can have in the Lord as we deal with it our own lives.  


OGC women, feel free to add what you remember from the retreat in the comments section below. I'm sure you both heard and wrote down different things than I did. 

FRIDAY NIGHT, Session 1
God may not remove adversity until we have profited from it.

Nothing escapes God's control.

Reference to John Frame, RTS professor:  Even government is being piloted to fulfill God's ultimate purposes.

Pain is different from suffering.  Pain affects the body; suffering is experienced by the soul and is its response to affliction and evil.

A reference was made to  Tim Keller's 9/11/01 Remembrance Message from Sept. 10, 2006.  Here is the link to that original message if you would like to read it.


SATURDAY MORNING, Session 2
Book Reference:  Dan McCartney, Why Does It Have To Hurt?

Suffering is God's means of restoring rightness to His creation.

Live a life of trust, but expect suffering because of the curse.

Confidence in the sovereignty of God is essential.

Jesus suffered with us.  Our suffering identifies us with Him and He with us.  We can endure because He endured.  His resurrection gives me hope in my suffering.  My loved ones are with Him and I will be there, too, one day with them.  The end is awesome.

What is sad will be made untrue.


Pain through adversity is God's way of seeking us.



SATURDAY AFTERNOON, Session 3
The Bible does not guarantee a life of pleasantness. Christians are not exempt from trouble.

I will raise him (your loved one who has died), but not today.

Major disappointments draw me to the Lord.  They are  greater opportunities to be a witness of God's grace to others.

Provision of God is adequate for my pilgrimage.  He will not fail me.  Eph. 1:11

In time of trouble it is not my understanding that is crucial; the knowledge of God's sovereignty and goodness IS.

God numbers our days.  

He plans for ultimate goodness for us, not necessarily a life that is  calamity free. / Jer. 29:11

There is no victory in crisis unless I can pray "not my will, but Yours be done."

Be honest.  Examples of Old Testament men--Job, Moses, David, Elijah, Jonah, Jeremiah.  Tell the truth to God and to others re: your personal suffering, not just "I'm fine".  Let others help you and let them be His hands and feet for you.

Treasures from God are hidden in the dark places.  

God is before us and behind us throughout the path of our lives.

We can help others when we have been through fiery trials ourselves.  2Cor. 1:    3-6




1 comment:

Patty said...

Thanks Tonya! I'll look forward to meditating more deeply over the Scriptures and your notes in the coming days. Enjoyed my first overview reading. Look forward to anyone else's notes too.
I'm thankful to be feeling better due to resting all weekend. I should be better able to greet my mom tomorrow and serve, honor and bless her for the next weeks she is here with us.

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...