Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Christmas Kindness Long Ago






Menu Tonight:
  • Leftovers--from Olive Garden on Friday night, asparagus.
Well, we did it.  All decorations have been taken down and boxed up, furniture moved back into position, holiday linens washed, folded and stored, Christmas dishes back in the china cabinet...everything is put away except the little tabletop tree in our family room (at my husband's request).   I really don't mind leaving it up, as this little tree holds such fond memories for me and represents friendship in a tangible way.  Believe it or not, it is 31 years old. 
Christmas Eve 1978:  I had been out of college for one year, working and sharing a townhouse apartment with two other young women.  Both my roommates had gone out of state to be with their families for Christmas so we had not decorated much since no one would be home but me.  My brother was in Kentucky with his family, my mother had moved back to Georgia and my father was working on a 2-year job in South America.   I had plans for  Christmas Day with lots of friends, but would be all alone on Christmas Eve which made me a little sad.   An older woman that I worked with knew of this and arranged ahead of time to get the apartment key from one of my roommates before she left to see her family in  Indiana.  When I came home by myself on Christmas Eve after a church service, the apartment was dark except Ior this little tree all  lit up and decorated with ornaments.  There were even a few wrapped presents under the tree as well as a sweet set of wooden European elves.  It made me cry that someone could be so generous and kind, especially since I was feeling so lonely that night. I don't remember how I found out who had done all this for me but I have never forgotten her special act of kindness.  What I do remember vividly is the surprise and warmth I felt that night.




This little tree was my only Christmas tree while I was single.  Even after being married we put it up every year in our condo. When we moved to the house we live in now (just 11 years ago), we purchased a large tree for the living room but have always kept this one in our family room.  It's in great condition and is wrapped up and stored carefully each year.  I don't know where the woman who gave it to me lives now or even what her life is like, but each year when I take it out and then put it away, I pray that the Lord is blessing her and caring  for her, showing her even greater kindness than she showed to me.

Usually during the holidays at a party or other gathering of friends the question is asked "what is one of your favorite Christmas memories".   The story of the gift of  this little tree is the one I share most often.  I hope it has blessed you as it has blessed me all these years.  Thank you, Sherry, wherever you are and thank you Lord, for putting such an act of generosity and care on someone's heart to let me know how much you care and love me as well.  Help me to show the same love to others that I see who are lonely.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...