Friday, January 15, 2010

Saying Goodbye Farewell To Those We Love / Haiti Relief Fund

Dinner tonight:
  • Loaded baked potatoes (cheese, sour cream, bacon, onions, broccoli) and fruit salad
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I really hate saying good-bye to people I love.  It's really just the initial farewell (most of the time) and then I'm usually fine about 15 minutes later.  Most frequently lately, I've been saying good-bye to my older son after he comes and stays with us for a day or so (more over the holidays) and I almost always get a little teary when we hug each other.   He only lives about 25 minutes away but the separation this year has been hard for me.   I'm thankful he didn't go to college in Minnesota or Ohio!


My brother leaves today after having stayed with us for three days and I get a little sad also saying good-bye to him as well.  The same thing happened this summer when I traveled with him to St. Louis and Houston for a few days and then said goodbye at the airport for my return flight home.  


With my older son I get sad because we always have such good conversation together and I really miss that.  Thank goodness there's email and Facebook to chat every now and then!  The same holds true for my brother now that we are both in our mid-50's (how did this happen?)--we can talk each other to death if given the opportunity.  As we get older with each year, I know we will not always be around for each other eventually and such fond memories of our childhood and times together flow through my mind in a whirlwind of thoughts.  I am so thankful to have them and I cherish each new memory that we make together since our time is limited and we live so far apart.  It's only a two-hour flight if we need to see each other quickly, but realistically, it's a flight that generally gets made only once or twice a year.  


Thank you Lord, for the unexpected surprise this week of a 3-day visit with him in our home.  I'll take whatever time You give me with those I love the most and will be grateful for the day when ...


...He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away. (Revelation 21: 4)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This passage also holds comfort for those  who have been victims of disaster as well.  Everyone by now, has heard of the earthquake disaster which occurred in Haiti on Tuesday, January 12.  Our church along with many others in our city is collecting donations of non-perishable food and clothing this Sunday to be sent there to help with the relief efforts.  There are many sites where you can contribute financially as well.  Our family sent funds  to   Samaritan's Purse International Relief which is  a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world.   If you would like to donate there as well, here is the link to do so.  Prayer for the nation of Haiti is essential, but physical, material assistance is also urgently needed.


No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...