Friday, January 29, 2010

Women's Retreat / Weekend Away with the Girls

This morning, as I mentioned yesterday, I will be playing the piano at the memorial service of a mom in her 50s who passed away very suddenly on Tuesday morning.  It was such a shock to her husband and eight children, three of whom are still living at home.  

Just a few hours after the memorial service, I'll be leaving for our church's annual women's retreat. It is held at a conference center about an hour from here.    It's always a good time with a guest speaker and discussion groups. There is plenty of  time for chatting, some deeper conversations, no cooking, hotel rooms and late-night snacks. There's also time to be alone if you would like as well.  This year's speaker is the director of worship at a local church who has experienced great loss in her life.  A few years ago, while away on a cruise with her husband, her youngest child drowned in the family pool while under the care of a babysitter.  It was a heart-wrenching time and even though I did not know her personally at the time, I remember the incident well.  Her topic this weekend is:  If God Is So Good, Then Why Do I Hurt So Bad?   It's a questions  asked by many at some stage of their lives whether they know God or not.   I'm sure it will be a tear-jerker weekend (I'm  packing tissues) but good for us to learn from someone who has already walked through the valley of the shadow of death personally.     The death of a child is the hardest loss I can imagine happening, one that I hope and pray that I never experience.

I'll fill in more detail when I return from the retreat. Click HERE for my notes from the retreat.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...