Monday, January 18, 2010

Lasagna Gardening Swapping Ideas Growing Food at Home

Does anyone out there like to garden?  We live in a suburb where front yards are generally flowers and maybe some hidden herbs. Our back yard is mostly taken up with a swimming pool.  My husband and I were at a lunch gathering of friends yesterday and a young man mentioned a new way of gardening which I had never heard of called an earth box.  I had just picked up a library book on Saturday that had an interesting titled called Lasagna Gardening. I don't know yet if they are the same thing but I am definitely going to look into both.   You use a special container and can plant several things in one small place. The cash investment is small and the box and soil can be reused several times as long as the plants are companion plants which means they can be grown using the same soil either at the same time or following each other.

I love to grow herbs  and have planted a few vegetables in the past. Fresh herbs on your homemade food taste delicious.  I also love flowers.  It's a little early in the season to plant seedlings or small plants but I enjoy growing things from seeds (which can be planted now), so I will be headed to Lowe's maybe this week to check out the earth box and also read through the library book to get ideas as well.   Martha Stewart, watch out!
     So many good things come from conversations bouncing here and there from topic to topic.   Yesterday afternoon we covered religion, TV, family, history books, school, the news,  websites, gardens, coffees and cooking, to name a few.  I was glad to learn about this little tidbit.  Happy Gardening!

2 comments:

susieloulou said...

Google "square foot gardening." I haven't tried it but several cyber-friends swear by it and I hope to soon!

Mrs. T. said...

I have heard of square foot gardening but not these other terms. Thanks.

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...