Saturday, January 16, 2010

Weekend Cooking Breakfast Using Leftovers AllRecipes.com

It's a lovely weekend here, a little overcast, but at least it's not freezing weather like it has been the last week or so.  I actually have flip-flips on.  Last night I made loaded baked potatoes and had lots of crumbled cheese and steamed broccoli left over.  With that a few other ingredients, I baked a breakfast soufflé this morning which turned out delicious.   I mixed the ingredients last night and put it in the refrigerator.  This morning I put it in to bake when I woke up.  

Ingredients: 
  • 1 tube of Ritz crackers (any crackers will do)
  • 1/2 stick of melted butter
  • 1 cup milk
  • 10 eggs
  • Leftover crumbled cheese (about 1 cup)
  • Leftover chopped, steamed broccoli
  • 6 slices of bacon (I used the pre-cooked packaged bacon)
Spray 9" x 13" casserole dish with non-stick spray or coat with butter.  Crumble the crackers as the first layer.  Drizzle melted butter on top of the crackers.  Put milk and eggs in a blender and whirl for 15 seconds  (I have a VitaMix so the blending time is quite brief).  Add broccoli and cheese, whirl for 5-10 seconds. Any longer and the eggs will look green (not too appetizing).  Pour into casserole dish on top of the crumbled crackers.  Tear bacon in pieces and lay on top of casserole.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean.  It looks quite appetizing when it comes out since the eggs puff up nicely and the color of the broccoli and bacon brighten the top.
I couldn't get a photo fast enough before everyone started eating it this morning. :)  This is an adaptation of a recipe from AllRecipes.com called Charleston Breakfast Casserole.  Thanks, Julia.
         A friend of mine told me about this site and she uses it almost every single day when planning her supper menu.  Thank you, Linda.   I am constantly amazed at her.  I love the site since you can type in the ingredients you have on hand and it will give you choices of what to make with those ingredients.  I'm on a mission right now to use up what's in the pantry and freezer before stocking up again so this site is particularly helpful in that regard.  
         Have a great Saturday!  I'm off to spend some Best Buy gift cards with my son. We both received them for Christmas and love shopping there when we have $$ to spend.  :)

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...