Friday, January 8, 2010

Taking Down the Christmas Decorations, Adorning Ourselves & Our Hearts

Menu tonight:  

  • Barbecue sandwiches, asparagus, corn casserole.

Well, today is the day.  We're taking down all the Christmas decorations.  I actually wanted to take them down last weekend but my husband gets very sentimental about this and wanted to keep them up at least one more week.  He doesn't really participate in putting them up or taking them down but loves having them out and gets a little sad when they come down.  I think he's picking up barbecue tonight to help.  :)   We're having company after church on Sunday and I'm hosting a ladies gathering here next weekend so they really need to come down today and tomorrow.  I usually leave our little tree in the family room up until just before the bins have to be stored in the garage on Saturday.

Last year when I took everything down I weeded through it all and threw away/gave away broken or chipped ornaments and decor that we haven't put out in years.  Of course, there are some things like ornaments that our sons made when they were small that I'll always keep.  Doing that made decorating this year SO much simpler.  Not as much clutter and everything went up in just a few hours.  Re-storing everything takes a bit longer since I wrap quite a few things in tissue paper before packing.  One bin at a time until it's all done.  I'll make a list of a few things that will be needed for next year like a few new strings of  white lights.  We ended the with a few strings of half-lit lights since we have the trees on for about 6 weeks pretty much all day each day.   I've already purchased all the wrapping paper, bows and gift tags for the next Christmas.
I was thinking about how we adorn the house for the Christmas holidays so carefully and put just the right things out to make us think of Jesus, our family and the holiday spirit that we want others to see.   I was comparing it to how we adorn ourselves and our home the rest of the year.  We really do want others to see our home as comfortable and welcoming and many have commented it is so, but more importantly, I want to be seen as a welcoming, comforting person, too, not just adorned as such, both to others and especially to my family.  In a nutshell, to let others see my light shining in such a way that it glorifies God rather than myself.

For now, one last glance at a few of our decorations before we see them, Lord-willing, next Christmas.








No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...