Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday Company for Lunch / Dinner, Hospitality

After church today we are having four guests over for dinner (main meal at lunchtime).  We like to have a variety of people over every now and then from our church especially, to get to know them better.  My husband is an elder there and has a "flock"--group of people that he shepherds throughout the year.  The single man we invited is from that flock; the married couple and young son have been at church for awhile but we just haven't visited for any length of time with them in awhile.


I used to never have company on  Sunday especially when I played the piano regularly and had to be there so early.  How would it be prepared in time for lunch?  Then I discovered the miracles of our self-bake / timer oven and the crockpot.  Tomorrow I'm taking a lasagna out of the freezer and putting it in the oven before we leave for church.  I'll set the oven to turn on an hour before we should get back home. 

When we walk in the door, the kitchen should smell like the maid has been there and prepared lunch for us. :)  It really is amazing.  (The oven's self-cleaning feature is like this for me, too, but more about that another time.)  The dining room table was set when I set the kitchen table for us last night.   A salad is being brought by a guest and I'll prepare fresh green beans to steam when we get home.   Dessert is also in the freezer to thaw.  Voila!  A nice home-cooked meal on  Sunday, mid-day and I don't have to spend an hour in the kitchen getting it ready and can be hospitable with a smile.

The crockpot works the same way, only the food goes in early on a Sunday morning on HIGH to be ready for lunchtime.  These kitchen appliances are must-haves in my book.  I hope any new brides out there have them on their bridal registries.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...