Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Maya Angelou Poem Beautiful Christian Sister Waiting While Single

A college friend of mine sent this lovely poem to me earlier this week and I wanted to share it with you. I have not read any of Maya Angelou's other writings.  The link below takes you to her biography.

Beautiful Christian Sister





'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ 
that a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'

When I say.... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living,'
     I'm whispering 'I was lost, Now I'm found and forgiven.'
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride.
     I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong.
     I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.
When I say.. 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success.
     I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect,
     My flaws are far too visible, but God believes I am worth it.
When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain...
     I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.
When I say..... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou,
     I'm just a simple sinner who received God's good grace, somehow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let's go back to the quote at the beginning of this:

'A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ 
that a man should have to seek Him first to find her.'


It assumes a few things:
  1. The woman the man is looking for is a strong believer and follower of Christ. 
  2. The Lord is her primary Love and she lives for Him.
  3. The man is seeking the woman, not the woman seeking the man.
  4. The man seeking the woman also has a relationship with the Lord.
  5. The man recognizes a godly woman when he sees one.
Whenever I am given the opportunity in conversation with single women, young ones out of college or older ones who may be widowed or divorced, I always try to encourage them to stay close to the Lord and above all, to stay pure, spiritually and physically.  A sure way to get in trouble and to meet the wrong kind of men is follow them from club to club, bar to bar, even activity to activity.  The new thing these days is online matchmaking websites.  I have a couple of friends who have met their husbands there, but I tend to be a skeptic.

I was 31 when I married my husband, although I met him five years prior to that. We dated one year, spent time alone and with others for 3 1/2 years, got back together and married in the 5th year.    I am thankful that we always kept our relationship pure during that time, especially in the event our sons ever ask us if we did.  Lots of details in between but clearly, God was directing each of us and preparing us both during the "waiting" time.
Delight yourself in the LORD; and He will give you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4)
I dislike even calling it "waiting" since I was certainly living, not just twiddling my thumbs.  I was at the point in my mid-20's where being married was not a necessity and I was content to be single.   I had a good job, a ministry, my own home, fun travels each year and a very full life.  I enjoyed the company of men but was not intentionally "being where the men are" as I see some women doing today.  I was no longer  "in the hunt".  To be honest, since my college days I never lacked for dates and have had many good men friends over the years.

When and if it is time for you to marry, you'll marry.  Seek wisdom from God and do NOT settle for a less worthy man or someone whom you notice warning signs during the relationship.  Patience, prayer and a quiet heart resting in God's goodness to you is by far better.  Love what He loves the most--the character of a man.
...for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”  (I Samuel 16: 7)
Marriage is "until death do you part" so be wise in your choice of whom you spend lots of time with and certainly in choosing your spouse.  Being married to the wrong person is far worse than being single.  So, take your time and enjoy your life. There is no need to stop living simply because you are single.  Try not to pay too much attention to the "clock", biological or otherwise.  Remember, you do have Someone Who loves you very much and wants the very best for you.
Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life.  (Proverbs 4: 23)



No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...