Saturday, January 30, 2010

Saturday Easy Inexpensive Recipe




It's still a bit cool here and is supposed to be a rainy day.  Here is an easy inexpensive recipe for lunch or even dinner for you:

HOMEMADE SPLIT PEA SOUP

INGREDIENTS
  • 8 cups of water
  • 1 package of dried split peas (no need to soak these)
  • 1 large carrot, minced or chopped
  • 1 onion, minced or chopped
  • Ham pieces OR kielbasa-type sausage, chopped (I used leftovers)
  • Garlic (I use a whole head, you may prefer just a clove or two)
Bring water to boil.  Add everything and bring to another boil.  Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 1 1/2-2 hours.  Suggested sides:  Salad, fruit and bread.


This is a great recipe to  make to help you lose weight.  Just don't eat too much.  1 cup of this soup is about 190 calories.  Add one slice of bread, some fruit and greens and you have a very healthy meal.   Minimize the meat for even less calories.  I even like the soup "spread" on a piece of bread or over rice.  Lots of protein in this dish.  The recipe makes a huge pot of soup.  I freeze half of it in a glass mason jar and put in the freezer.  I could eat this every day for lunch but my family usually likes it for only one meal, maybe a dinner and a lunch.

===================================================

A BIT OF HUMOR FOR THE DAY
A dear friend sent this to me yesterday...

A man and his wife were having an argument about who should brew the coffee each morning. 
The wife said, 'You should do it because you get up first, and then we don't have to wait as long to get our coffee. 
The husband said, 'You are in charge of cooking around here and you should do it, because that is your job, and I can just wait for my coffee.' 
Wife replies, 'No, you should do it, and besides, it is in the Bible that the man should do the coffee.' 
Husband replies, 'I can't believe that, show me.' 
So she fetched the Bible, and opened the New Testament and showed him at the top of several pages, that it indeed says . 'HEBREWS'

1 comment:

Patty said...

Split pea soup in the crockpot is one of our family's staples! We do it once a week. I throw in baby carrots, whatever seasonsings I'm in the mood for, maybe some onions and garlic, etc. - instant healthy economy cooking! Yours sounds yummy

Patty

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...