Monday, February 1, 2010

Valentines / Matters of the Heart / Taming Your Tongue / Words of Kindness

February 14 is Valentines Day. Each day until then I'll begin this blog with a quote about friendship and/or love.
Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person - having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away. ~Dinah Craik, A Life for a Life, 1859
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've always liked this quote. In fact, I think it was printed in my high school yearbook way back in 1973.  It is comfortable being safe with someone and able to express anything, as they say.  It is rare to have a friend like this. At 54 years of age,  I think I have three of them.  I often feel that most of my friends can handle this topic or that topic, this temperament or that one, but few can handle everything well.  The three of my friends that I think of right off the bat, I have known for more than 30 years.


Our tongues can get us into so much trouble.  The book of James has much to say about the tongue in verses 1:26, and  3:5-8.   I know myself that I sometimes say too much (working hard on that), say the wrong thing, or sometimes don't speak at all when it's needed (working hard on that, too).   All of us, men and women, can remember times I'm sure, when we have done one or all of these things.  It's so true that such a little part of the body can build another up, tear them down to depression and/or tears, express love and anger, reconcile people and also split them apart, sometimes for a lifetime.  Sometimes, the words we speak are actually  repeated words we've heard from our parents, our friends (choose them wisely), television and movies, and the books we read.  
I'm convinced that the only way to tame the tongue (other than to just keep it quiet)  is truly by the renewing of the mind through reading God's Word, the Bible.  I hope in my midlife, that I am becoming a better listener, writer, and pray-er by taming my tongue.  The temptation is great, but knowing when to speak as well as when NOT to, and having words of blessing to say is a true sign of wisdom.  We all  have a long way to go, but then, we're all still growing up, no matter what your age.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...