Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ebay How To: Step 1--What To Sell?

What should you sell on Ebay?  All I can tell you is, sell what you need to and/or sell what you enjoy shopping for and selling.  The need-to part would be things around your house that are just taking up space and no longer being used, toys and clothes (very clean) that your kids have outgrown, extra dishes, books, games...just about anything can be sold.  

I tend to limit my items to what can fit in the boxes that I have.  Did you know you can order FREE Priority Mail boxes from the U.S. Post Office online?  They are shipped to your house directly for FREE as well.  Be careful not to order too many because even though they arrive flat, the boxes they come in take up some storage space. I store mine in our laundry room.  I ordered way too many one time --be careful of the quanity-- and ended up giving them to the post office (which they gladly accepted).  I also keep small bubble wrap envelopes on hand which I get at Sam's  Club for less than $5.00 (25 in a pack).

On the fun side, I love going to thrift stores and garage sales for our family as well as Ebay shopping.  I have developed an eye over time for what sells pretty well, although sometime it takes awhile for it to sit in your store for folks to discover the treasure that you have found.  My general rules when buying are:

  1. Spend no more than $5.00 (once in awhile I have exceeded this)
  2. Buy only what will fit in the boxes and/or envelopes I have
  3. Items must be clean or able to be cleaned well
  4. Amount I spend must easily be doubled (at least) in the sales price
  5. Whatever I buy must be suitable to give as a gift to someone, re-donate back and/or keep for myself.    Several Christmas and birthday gifts for friends have come from my stash. I am weeding out my inventory now and have a lot going into a gift storage area of the house.
My time is limited and I still have one child (age 15) at home.  I usually shop when he is either out at a class or other activity.  Some Saturday mornings my husband and I shop together. He loves yard sales since I showed him the treasures you can find and we have bought things together for the house and for the family.  

I love nice china, collectibles and books, so I tend to sell a lot of those.  You may enjoy something else and prefer to sell that instead.  You only need to learn enough about the item to describe it well in your listing.

As an example, I took photos of three items that I listed today for you.  We'll walk through the stages over the next day or so and see how they do in their auctions over the next week :  








No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...