Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ebay How To: Step 3--Listing Your Item(s)

How are you at giving a good description of what you see?  That's all you have to do in writing a listing.  The  Ebay template is very easy to use and basically walks you step-by-step through the form to fill in the information that is needed.   To access it, go to the Ebay home page and click SELL in the upper right-hand corner.  In the drop-down menu, click SELL AN ITEM.   This page opens up.  

You then have the option of clicking on WHAT'S IT WORTH?/LOOK IT UP or START SELLING.  If you have no idea what your item is worth, the What's It Worth link is useful in determining either a fixed price or an auction start price.  Terapeak will give you a range of prices based on items that have previously sold.  If the range shows up as very low or not at all,  it may not be in Ebay's  database.  Sometimes that's bad; sometimes that's VERY good.    If you already have an idea of the value or at least of what you want to receive for your item, then click on START SELLING.

Browse the categories to find the one that fits your item OR just start typing in the blank and it will give you a list of suggestions.  For the caller ID module that I listed, I typed "caller id module" in the blank and several options came up that I could use.  Choose the BEST one for your item.  In this case, it was TELEPHONES & PAGERS > CALLER ID BOXES.   Click CONTINUE.  You can list in multiple categories but I never do.

You end up at the SELL YOUR ITEM FORM.  Fill in the form with all the information that you have. Make your title specific using up as much of the space allowed as you can.  Upload your photo.  The first photo is free.  After March 30 I believe you can upload up to 12 for free.  Type a thorough description of your item in the space provided.  You can type normally and  it will appear just as you type, or if you are familiar with HTML, you can use that for variety.  I use it via a "translator" at another site which converts what I want into that language.    I keep the same template in my MAIL box and just update it with new item specifics each time so that it looks similar in all my  store  listings.  Include size, color, brand, defects (hopefully there aren't any), measurements if clothing, model #, year, publisher...whatever YOU would want to know about this item if you were looking to buy one.  Check your spelling. 

I always opt out of the Listing Designer but I like the free VISITOR COUNTER.  Choose START PRICE (auction), FIXED PRICE OR STORE INVENTORY.  To save on insertion fees, choose  START IMMEDIATELY.    PayPal is the most common form of payment and requires its own separate account and of course, incurs separate fees.  Ebay owns PayPal.   Ebay does not allow money orders or cashiers checks.  I personally do not accept credit cards.

Choose the shipping method you prefer.  Remember that you can get Priority Mail boxes for free from the post office. Be sure to WEIGH your item with an accurate scale INCLUDING the shipping box.  In general, Priority Boxes add an addition 8 oz. to the total weight.   I always use the SHIPPING CALCULATOR so I don't have to calculate how much to charge for buyers depending on their location as the cost will differ.  I always  add $1.50 handling charge to every item I sell to cover gas and supplies that I use.  

I used to ship internationally but I no longer offer this service due to a few items mysteriously "not arriving". It's up to you. There are additional customs forms to complete  when shipping internationally which you can get at the post office.  Choose your buyer requirements and your return policy.  I accept returns within 7 days and send money back via PayPal. Buyer pays shipping charges.  

Be sure to check YOUR FEES SO FAR amount so there are no surprises when Ebay invoices you at the end of the month.    I am assuming you have set up your seller account which is NOT the same as your buyer account.  A credit card is required for this.  

Here is a sample of my listing for a pair of cute Christmas ornaments.  I have used HTML in my listing to make it appear the way it does with the color and various types.  

Happy Listing!  If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments section.




No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...