Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Valentines Day / Matters of the Heart / Make Your Own Greeting Cards

Valentines Quote for the Day:

The very name of a friend can warm the heart, as mine is warmed when I hear yours.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have no idea who wrote this.  I remember receiving  a beautiful card from a dear friend when I was in my 20's that had these words.  I have never forgotten them and every now and then I write it myself in cards to special people.  I smile when something reminds me of most of my friends, but there are some that really warm my own heart because we have shared such fond memories together--some from long ago, others from more recent times.  Some of them have made me special gifts that I still have or at least remember well.

I occasionally buy greeting cards but for the most part, I prefer to make them myself.  I usually design on the computer using software, print on white cardstock and often add little flourishes like stickers, glitter, buttons, stitching and/or marker outlining.  I have used Greeting Card Factory for Mac but recently purchased Print Master Platinum with a Christmas gift card and can't wait to try it out.   Making cards is a bit time-consuming but the end result is always worth it.  Like handwritten notes, homemade cards are rare these days.  In today's busy-ness, something handmade is a treasure for most people, a unique gift in itself. 

This Valentines Day I would encourage you to make something for someone --a meal, a card, a piece of clothing or accessory, record some music or your thoughts, take a photo and frame it, write a mushy letter (I love mushy cards and letters), plant flowers in their garden or give a potted plant or herbs you grew yourself.  Think about what the person appreciates and let your thoughts wander over to the right side of the brain to help you be a little creative.   Whenever they see your love expressed in something just for them, their heart will also be warmed remembering you.  :)


No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...