Monday, April 16, 2012

Repurposing / Another Use For A Healing Mat

I love it when I find other uses for things I already own.    I prefer doing paperwork in our dining room rather than our home office.  More room to spread out, watch the birds in the feeder and see the flowers in the garden.   Plus I'm closer to any other people / activities going on in the house as well.

You may have a healing mat like this.  This one is made by Fiskars.



Generally they are used for cutting fabric, measuring and doing crafts.    To protect our dining room table from scratches I lay my large mat down and it's the perfect size for paperwork, paying bills, writing letters, addressing graduation envelopes...   I always sit in a comfy office chair with a cup of tea or coffee when I do serious work at home.    If company arrives unexpectedly, I just lift the entire mat and stash it next to our bed or on another desk somewhere else in the house.  Saves time and keeps a large project organized and in one place until I'm finished.     

I try to keep the dining room table clear most evenings  and all weekends for my husband so it doesn't look cluttered.   Using this mat makes it very easy to clear everything off in one fell swoop.  There is a roll top desk in the corner of this room to the right of the office chair, so the pens, paperclips can go in there quickly as well.  :)



At a yard sale I found a second smaller one  which I use with a laptop desk when I'm sitting on the sofa with the family.  If we're watching TV, I often use a lap desk to work on coupons, write a note or work on a greeting card.


Look around your home and see if there is a second, sometimes surprising use for items that you already own.  This practice will always save you $$.

1 comment:

Sarah Huizenga said...

Great idea! My husband prefers clutter free counters and tables as well :)

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...