Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Credit Cards : Rewards Cards

As you know,  I am a huge proponent for staying out of debt.   We use our one family credit card for most purchases and pay it off at the end of each month.  My husband mainly uses it for gas so there are no surprises at the end of each month.  Thank You, Lord.  We allow our sons to use it for specific items that we cover for them while they are in school.   I use a credit card like a debit card and subtract my purchases from the checkbook when they are made.    If I'm not certain of a charge, I double-check the amount using mint.com.

We keep a certain amount of $$ on hand at home. The envelope is filled each week  to use to eat out, grab a coffee, buy a magazine, etc.  When the cash is gone, it's gone until the same time the following week.  If not all of it was used (which is sometimes the case), I just add to it  to meet the cap allowed.  This has saved us SO MUCH money in excessive impulse spending.  It really is harder to spend cash than use a credit card.

The subject for today is Rewards Cards.  The rewards on our regular card is Disney rewards.  Eating out at Disney can really break your budget and since we go out there fairly often, this has been a treat to eat at a fun place while there often with friends.  At Christmas time we do a fair amount of shopping there as well so it saves us in that regard, too.

I have a second credit card which I use to pay for shipping for my Ebay business.  This one rewards me with points/dollars from Coldwater Creek (my favorite clothing store).  They are very generous with their rewards. I often do not spend what they require to earn rewards $ but receive them anyway.  They even send you $20 on  your birthday!  :)  Recently I opened the mail to find this:

$40 in rewards which I used to purchase this black and white skirt from their online outlet which was marked down from $70.   I shop carefully even when the money is "free".   This pretty skirt cost me $2.69 and it fits perfectly.

Wore it to a wedding last weekend with a black top that I normally wear with a long black skirt and it looked great.  Black and white goes with so much that I already have in my closet. A great buy for me.  Sorry the photo is a bit blurry... someone else took it and I should have had the flash on.   :(


Love those rewards!!  Only regularly use a credit card IF YOU CAN PAY IT OFF EACH MONTH to avoid the excessive interest rates that are charged.  I understand that sometimes there are unforeseen expenses and you may need one for emergencies .  If you use one, take advantage of those that offer you some kind of reward.  Search bankrate.com for the best offers out there.   Your personal bank may not offer the best options for you.   Be  certain there is no annual fee and rack up rewards for airline miles, clothing stores, cash back, gas or whatever benefits your family the most.

UPDATE 9.1.12:  Just used another $20 Coldwater Creek rewards coupon for this cute top.  Originally $69.95, on sale for $34.99 + 40% off + free shipping [I never buy anything at CC online unless it's free shipping] = $2.36!!  AND it goes with so many items I already own including the black and white skirt above.  :)



1 comment:

April said...

Wow! That's great! One of the best rewards cards I ever signed up for is the amazon credit card. I use it for everything, pay it off each month, and the points I earn virtually pays for all our homeschool books from Amazon. Plus free 2-day shipping. Can't beat it.

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...