Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kitchen Gadgets : The Salad Spinner

How  many of you have one of these somewhere in your kitchen that you don't use?  I was getting a mixing bowl out this week and saw this in the very back of one of our lower cabinets.  I had to get down on my hands and knees to get it out.  I was about to toss it into the  donation box but thought I'd use it for a week and see if I really wanted to part with it.



Just last week I had made some salads and washed and dried the greens with a towel (which really doesn't get them as dry as I'd like).

I made a space in our frig for the spinner.  This one is quite large so it holds a lot of greens.  I opened a box of Artisan Lettuce from Aldi which I originally thought was pre-washed and discovered to my surprise that it was NOT.  I think we have eaten dirt a few times and not realized it.



  I washed it really well and spun it.  There was so much water in the bottom of the spinner and the lettuce was nice and dry.


Now I have a batch of salad greens freshly washed and dried in the frig READY for a nice salad with lunch and dinner. No excuses now to not eat more vegetables!  :)  Trying to build healthy habits here with two salads a day and green smoothies, too!  :)



I'm glad I didn't throw it away.    How about you?

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...