Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Don't Just Wish , Always ASK, PRAY, and Dream Big

One of my favorite bloggers recently included a post about asking and receiving a birth announcement acknowledgement from the President of the US.  It got me thinking of some events that have happened in our family.

I am a huge proponent of asking and praying  for something that you want or need.  A "no" answer is OK with me but you never know what the answer will be.  Some amazing examples of that have happened to our family:

MOVIE RAINCHECK:  
Our family was sitting in a movie [George of the Jungle as I recall] one evening with the children  when they were younger and one of them started not feeling well so we needed to leave the theatre only part way through the film.  While we were on our way to the car, I asked my husband about getting a refund.  He thought they'd never agree, but I went back, explained the situation, and asked.  They did not refund but  cheerfully gave us not one, but 4 rain checks for a  movie any time of day so we could all return together!  :)


myfrugaladventures.com


GIFT SHOP RETURN:
Years ago, I was given a sweet gift of a Thomas Kinkade sun catcher. I love sun catchers and stained glass.  As I admired it I realized that the scripture reference on it was incorrect.  [The light shines in the darkness is from JOHN 1:5, not Psalm 1:5.]  I took it back to the store where it was purchased.  All I really wanted was a replacement. Come to find out--ALL of the inventory with that verse on it was incorrect.  The manager thanked me profusely, pulled the items and gave me a refund.  He let me keep the item which I still have since there were no other sun catchers in stock.  Who knows? Now that Thomas Kinkade passed away recently :(  , this may be a collector's item now.



About 2 weeks later, I received this in the mail... a new Thomas Kinkade book ...


and a letter thanking me for letting them know of the error.




INVITATION TO A PROFESSIONAL NBA PLAYER TO OUR SON'S BIRTHDAY PARTY:
This is one of our favorite family stories.  Year 1999. My  husband told us that someone who works with him had invited NBA player Kobe Bryant to her son's birthday party and he came!!  Our younger  son who was about to turn 5 years old heard the story at the time and wanted to do the same, so he invited NBA player Horace Grant to his birthday party.   I prayed a lot for this since it was so important for our little one.  The party came and went and our son was SO disappointed; he was certain that Horace would show up.  A day or two after the party we received a letter from Horace saying how sorry he was that he could not attend the party  AND this autographed T-shirt from him!



Another Birthday Surprise:   Zorro Treasures

Our older son was about 9 when this happened.  We had introduced him to Zorro (from the old Guy Williams / Disney movies).  At that time there was very little on the market related to Zorro. This was before the Antonio Banderas movies came out.   I called Disney World here in Florida and asked if they had anything which they did not. The VERY nice lady who answered referred me to the Burbank, CA studio.  I called there and the VERY nice lady there thought there might be something in the archives.   I gave her my address and thought I'd never hear from her again.  Well, about 2 weeks later we received a large manila packet filled with autographed photos of Zorro (Guy  Williams) on Toronado, postcards and other items from those classic movies.  I wrapped them up and gave them to our son for his birthday plus a black cape, mask and black hat.  What a cool surprise!!  I wish I had a photo of them to show you but they are safely stored away in his "treasure box".

tvacres.com



It is now my habit to never "wish" for anything, but  ALWAYS ask, pray and dream big--even for the "impossible".  How about you?


Eph. 3:20-21 Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us,  to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen. 

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...