Monday, April 2, 2012

Ebay Q and A : Selling Smaller $5 or Less Items

To make money on Ebay the general rule is to buy low, sell high (I guess that's the general rule for selling anything, isn't it?).  This applies not only to the high ticket items but also to lower priced items as well.    I've had several of those AMAZING sales where I literally bought something for 50 cents and sold it for $50+.   Just last week I sold an inherited coin set that had been in a storage box for a year for  $849.00!  Nevertheless,   I try to keep a variety of prices in my Ebay store to interest all types of shoppers.  Most items sell for $15-$100 but sometimes I find a deal that is too good to resist.

Last October I purchased an entire box of scrapbooking hole punches in various, brands,  shapes and sizes.  As I recall, I bought 43 hole punches for $5.00.  I don't scrapbook myself but I'd seen these in Michael's and other stores for at least $5.00 APIECE!

These are just a few of the hole punches that were sold before Christmas...









I listed each hole punch individually for $5-$8.00 each with some sold in groups for $10-12.  Truly, most were sold one by one.  In checking my inventory yesterday I only have eight  left.

Let's do the math:

  • $5.00 divided by 43 = 12 cents each (purchase price)
  • $7.00 (average selling price) x 31 (already sold) = $217.00 (Gross Sales)
  • $7.00 - $1.28 (average fees per item) = $5.72 x 35 = $200.20 (Approx. NET PROFIT)


Not bad for a $5.00 investment.  Next time I see these particular items at a rummage or garage sale, you can be sure I'll be restocking my inventory!

Don't neglect selling lower priced items, especially small things like this that are easy and inexpensive to ship.  I offered free shipping when they were sold individually. Ebay gives you more exposure when doing this.  This would be a great "first sales experience" project for kids and you could teach them how to sell on Ebay by having them take the photos, list and KEEP the profits.  They're surely remember everything in your "class" that way.  :)

Remember, all shoppers have friends, so you're not just selling necessarily to one person but "future" buyers as well.  Keep them coming back  by keeping a variety of items and prices--unique and practical, higher-priced and economy prices--in your store.  :)

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...