Monday, April 9, 2012

Healthy Living : How to Make Green Smoothies

I'm often the last to try something new.  The relatively new healthy beverage these days is a Green Smoothie.   I imagine that you'd play at least $ 3.00 for one of these at a smoothie place or healthy food store, probably more.

They are so easy to make with my  VitaMix.  I have been drinking one for breakfast each morning this week and another as a snack in the afternoon.  This recipe makes two 10-oz. servings.



INGREDIENTS
  • One large apple (I used Gala  or Red Delicious)
  • One frozen banana (makes it thick like a shake)
  • One large handful of fresh spinach (I used the bagged kind from Aldi)
  • One cup of water
  • One cup of crushed ice



Blend on high for about 30 seconds.  It is delicious.  The fruits make it sweet enough for me.   I did not even to add sweetener of any kind but you could always put a little Stevia or honey if you have a sweeter tooth than I do.  This is a great way to get another serving  or two of fruits and especially vegetables during your day.    Enjoy!




HERE are several recipes from the makers of VitaMix.  If you don't like the green color (I have to admit that it looks yucky), HERE is a recipe made with berries so you can't tell that there are greens in it. Perfect for kids who turn up their noses at this healthy drink.



4.10.12
Tried another one today with protein powder, 2 giant strawberries, 1 1/2 bananas, Stevia, 1/4 c. milk, ice and water + spinach.  Delicious!

Since my son did not want to drink anything green, I omitted the spinach when making the smoothie for his, then added it for mine.  You could do that, too, for picky eaters.  :)

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...