Thursday, April 26, 2012

Organization : Your Kitchen Pantry

There have been times when I had no idea what was in my pantry because so much was scattered here and there.  I spent a couple of hours several weeks ago and re-organized everything so I can tell at a glance what  I have on hand to make meals.   

Here is my system from the ground up:

Floor:  Chips (in basket), large containers of protein mix, soups, George Foreman indoor grill, wine, some large glass items (i.e. spaghetti sauce), paper napkins (I buy one large package every 6-9 months since I use cloth napkins regularly).  If glass breaks on our tile floor, it EXPLODES, so don't want to take a chance of someone accidentally knocking glass off a shelf.

Shelf 1:  Canned items.  Blue container holds sprinkles and baking cups. More in our air conditioned laundry room (I keep one slat of a vent open in there so it doesn't get unbearably hot in the summer since our extra freezer is in there).

Shelf 2:  Cereals, pastas, crackers, tea, rice.  More cereals and crackers are stored in our laundry room.

Shelf 3:  Boxed goods, couscous, rice pilaf, stuffing mix, packaged seasonings (in box), dried legumes (box)

Shelf 4:  Lazy Susan holds extra Pam, vinegar, Parmesan cheese.  Bottled dressings, sauces, Crystal Light mixes, Stevia, peanut butter, baking items i.e. coconut oil, sugar, chocolate ships, cake/muffin/brownie mixes

Shelf 5 (top):    More baking items--flour, shortening, frostings, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar...






When we bought this house 14 years ago, I was thrilled to have this large pantry that stays hidden behind closed doors in the kitchen.  It is about 6 feet long x 1 foot wide and goes from the floor to the ceiling.  It isn't obtrusive in our kitchen below which we all like, but holds a vast amount of items.  I have hung special gifts from special friends on the narrow wall space next to the pantry.



 I had someone build me an open-shelf pantry when we lived in a condo before moving here.  They don't take up much room but sure hold a lot.  When I say I "shop my pantry" I really mean it.  :)  It allows us to have a storage area when stocking up on grocery items when they are marked down, getting the most for our $$.  I hope you have a pantry for extras but if not, devise some sort of storage for them that is attractive and useful for you.

We only  have three living at home right now but I still keep the pantry and freezer stocked.  We are able to give generously to the many food drives in our community, my husband's work, church, etc. when asked without it being a burden.  There's always plenty to help out a new or sick mom with a home-cooked meal or have friends and family over for dinner.


Proverbs  6:6-8 
Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise, 
Which, having no chief, Officer or ruler, 
Prepares her food in the summer,
And gathers her provision in the harvest. 

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...