Monday, September 19, 2011

Decluttering: One Small Project at a Time / Bathroom Shelf / Gift Wrap

We have two bathrooms in our home--one in our master bath with considerable storage underneath the sink; the other is used by our son(s) and any guests we may have.   It has a large closet for storing extra toiletries and a few other items as well.   I cringe when I look in the closet of the latter, especially  the bottom "shelf" which is the floor.  I had organized the three other shelves at the beginning of the summer and can find whatever   I am looking for easily on those.

The floor was just a huge mess of gift wrap, boxes, tissue and ribbons.  I was finding myself buying a new bag instead of searching through this clutter for a suitable bag, tissue or ribbon. What a waste of $$.

No kidding, this little job that I had put off for MONTHS only took me about 30 minutes.

Here are the "before" photos...



After I completely emptied the area and wiped it down...


I dumped everything on our family room floor and sat there while the football game was on on Saturday afternoon.  I threw away only a small amount of what was in the pile and put about 7 items in a donation box.  Everything else was completely clean and useable.


I got a colorful red bin from the garage and a large  shopping bag and started organizing.

  • Ribbons in the Rubbermaid box
  • More ribbons, bag stuffings, cellophane and bows in the large shopping bag
  • Gift bags and colored tissue in the red bin
  • Large boxes stored flat against the red bin and the wall

 I even labeled the items so that when someone wants  to wrap a gift for me they can easily find what they are looking for.  :)


Next time I see something like this I won't put it off for so long.  
Ah... continually organizing the house, one area at a time..  


No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...