Monday, September 19, 2011

The Most Important First Chore of Each Day: Make Your Bed Each Morning

This is my opinion but I think many of my friends might agree that the most important first chore of the day is to Make Your Bed as soon as you can after you get out of it.   That really sets the mood for the rest of the day.

When I get up, the bed often looks like this:


In 5 minutes, it can look like this:



My husband gets up pretty early (5:30 a.m.) and I try to get up at least before he leaves (6:30 a.m.) and get the bed made.  I'm sure it affects his disposition to show a little industriousness before he goes out for a 45-minute drive to a  hard day's work.  If you have children at home, teach them to make their beds as early as possible.  It doesn't have to be exactly like you make it, but tidy.  It also helps them get a move on to whatever they need to be doing--showering, dressing, eating breakfast, homework, heading out to class... I have always required this of our sons and they both do a great job.

If the bed is made, you're less likely to fall back into it (moms at home) but just start the next day's task.  Mine is usually a morning walk and getting breakfast or starting laundry.

A pretty bedspread or comforter (they're even easier) and a few throw pillows make the look pretty.   The one on ours is from Bed, Bath &  Beyond and was bought with one of their 20% off coupons, saving us a bundle.  The bed is usually the largest piece of furniture in a bedroom, so give yourself a boost in the morning and make your bed when you get up.  You'll be amazed at how it affects your overall mood to walk in and out of the room and see it clean and neat rather than a mess.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...