Thursday, September 15, 2011

Titus 2 Moms Talk: Your Child's First Friends in the Books They Hear and Read

This is my talk from our first Titus 2 Moms gathering of the year last night.


Your Child's First Friends:
The Books They HEAR  and  READ

You may have tangible wealth untold,
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold;
Richer than I you can never be
I had parents who read to me.

     Strickland Gilliland  (1869-1954 from The Reading Mother

===========================================
This  talk is primarily about books other than the Bible.  I read the Bible to our kids before they were even born, and often read scripture out loud when I was nursing, or just holding them so they could hear it. When they were  younger, we would read together in the evenings.   I will assume that you either are or will be reading the Bible to your children as they grow and making Bible characters come alive to them.  Children's story Bibles are fine, but as soon as they are able, a real translation should be their very own to have, hold and read.

Allegories that teach biblical truths such as The Chronicles of Narnia series and Tales of the Kingdom are also excellent to read to and with children.
=========================================== 

The world of books... I love them.  Reading a book, especially with great characters is such a treat.  It's like making new friends.  How often have you shared thoughts about a book with a friend? Lately, I'm on #4 of the Mitford series (Jan Karon) and I read Redeeming Love (Francine Rivers) about a month ago. I'll read The Help sometime this fall especially after having enjoyed the movie so much. I love talking about good books with friends.  It is such a joy to do the same with your children.   


STAGES OF CHILDREN AND BOOKS

  •       When my children were little (babies-age 2), their only knowledge of books was what I selected and read to them.  
  •      When they got a little older (age 2-4) we went just about every week to the library and they would help choose books that I would read to them.
  •      A little older (ages 5-10) and we would take turns reading [One son hesitated when I was teaching him to read because he thought I wouldn't read to him anymore.  I let him choose when that time came.] 
  •       Then came the stage of reading books at the same time and discussing them (ages 11-now).  

In all of these scenarios, their book  "friends" became my friends, too.  We could refer to book memories and know exactly what we were "really" saying.  Sometimes sharing books enables us to share life even better by making it easier and less threatening to identify  our fears, emotions,  hopes and dreams.

Things I remember my kids saying after having read / heard a book:
  •   He's a friend like Sam [Lord of the Rings]
  •   I want to have a horse and ride  like Billy [Billy and Blaze boy & horse series]
  •   I want to have adventures like  Fritz and Ernst.  [Swiss Family Robinson]
  •   Look at all this beautiful food [A Christmas Carol]
  •  How can a pig and a spider be friends / different types of people...? [Charlotte's Web]
  •  His mommy always came after him. [The Runaway Bunny]
  •   I don't know if I could do what Travis did.  [Old Yeller]

For homeschooling, in general, I made it a point to have read a literature book previously or read it at the same time they are (using 2 bookmarks) so I would know what they were reading.  From time to time, even now, my sons will still recommend a good book that they have heard of or read and I  have not.   I am so glad that they both love to read. Their language, writing and spelling are all excellent by having done so throughout their lives.  This summer my older son had a goal of reading 20 classics that he had never read before. I think he got through about 16 before college resumed about a month ago.

Audiobooks may give you the story, often abridged, and iPads / Nooks can hold thousands of books and certainly have their benefits.   Personally, I prefer holding a book in my hands.  I hope the digital age we’re currently in does not cause our society to eliminate paper books entirely for this next generation.  There’s something about holding a book in your hands and seeing the story unfold on paper.
==========================================

Babies and preschoolers:
 You read to them, of course.  
  • So many choices, many of them not very good-- Sarah has Two Mommies, Daddy's Doesn't Live Here Anymore... “relevant books” are not what they need at young ages.
  • Kids prefer colorful pictures, board books, books with children that look like them, animals, nature
  •  Sing-song reading like good poetry [A Child's Garden of Verses], Mother Goose (NOT the politically correct one)
  •  Some of my favorite little children's authors:  Margaret Wise Brown, Jan Brett, Richard Scarry, Robert McCloskey, Beatrix Potter, Peggy Parish...


Toddler-hood and up:
         P. 37  --10 Ways to raise a reader from Honey for a Child’s Heart  by Gladys Hunt.  I highly recommend this book and others  by Gladys:
  •  Honey for a Teen’s Heart
  •  Honey for a Woman’s Heart
I used her reading lists consistently for our children from babyhood until about age 12.  We were never disappointed in her selections.


Pretend or purely truth?  
         We all love the world of make-believe.   I think it's fine for children to be read classic fairy tales or fantasy stories.  Most children can tell the difference between pretend and make-believe  just as we can and fantasy can enliven their imagination and take them places they would never be able to visit.  Hence, the popularity of books like Cinderella, Mary Poppins, Chronicles of Narnia,  Harry Potter...  Books help our imagination in ways that television or movies cannot.

        
***Choosing a story book
  • What is the theme? does it challenge the heart? bravery, kindness, doing the right thing...noble thoughts and words
  •  What is the plot? the why of the story, the "agenda"
  • What are the CHARACTERS like?  This to me, is the most important element.   It's OK to have good and bad characters but to talk about the differences.  Is he/she doing what God would want?  Would you want to be like him/ her? And Why?


PARTICIPATION
1.   Let's  share some of the books you brought.
Many brought 1-2 of their or their children’s favorite books and shared them. Others shared memories of favorite books.

2.   Pass around grab bag of books (free books for all, purchased from the library bookstore)

3.   Drawing for a gift book (Karen P. won a copy of Honey for a Child’s Heart )

Great Resources for you:
  • Five in a Row [Curriculum that Pam M. shared for homeschool, with excellent reading lists and activities to do with each book] 
  •  Gladys Hunt blog
  • Reading Rainbow [PBS television program]
  •  Storynory  [free audio stories for children/ recommended by Kathy's daughter Toni]
June Y. also shared about reading chapter books aloud while her children played with Legos, colored and drew.  What a great family activity. I have always admired Cindy P. for doing this with her children even through high school!  Engage Dad in reading aloud to the children as well.

Enjoy reading and learning with your children as they grow up.  They will be blessed as well as you.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...