Saturday, September 24, 2011

Fun Food for the Weekend

In case you're wondering if I ALWAYS cook fairly healthily, the answer is NO, but that I try to as much as I can.  Sometimes the family really wants something that I can hardly put in my mouth but as a "treat" for them, particularly my husband, I'll fix something like the franks and beans meal below.  Now, I don't mind a good hot dog [I'm partial to Nathan's brand] but I try to not make them very often unless we are grilling outside.

A simple fun meal...

Sauté the sliced hot dogs first [adding sliced onions in the mix makes it even better], then add the canned baked beans [we use Bush's exclusively] and let them simmer for about 30 minutes or so.

Then open a can of corn kernels and a square of cream cheese.  Sounds strange, but it really is delicious.  Warm these up slowly so the cream cheese does not scorch.   A dear friend who was a missionary in Honduras taught me to do this and my family loves it.


Pop a loaf of garlic bread in the oven to bake [or make your own fresh] and make a salad with lettuce and whatever FRESH ingredients you have on hand [I have to have something fresh.].  I used lettuce, cucumbers, sliced almonds, tomatoes, spinach, feta cheese and raisins for this one.  

Voila!  Easy, tasty ... great for a quick meal while you're watching the football game with friends and the family.  Man food!  Kid food! They'll love it.


Pin It

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...