Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11 Another Day We Will Never Forget

Today is the 10th year following September 11, 2001.  I'm sure everyone is recalling where they were when they were informed that the U.S. had been directly attacked.  Our nation's armed forces are on increased alert and are expecting something to happen today in New York City or Washington, DC, possibly elsewhere.  I pray that they are mistaken but will watch and wait with the rest of America.  May the Lord be gracious and protect  us all.


================================================
Below is my post from last year re: 9/11


September 11, 2001.  That date will be remembered vividly, at least in the  United States, for the next several generations. It's been nine years and I still get a bit teary-eyed when I see replays of that morning.  My children and I were up early since they were younger,  12 and 6 at the time.   We had had breakfast and were just beginning our homeschool lessons when my husband called from work and told us to turn on the television.  As a rule, we don't turn the TV on in the mornings so we had not heard the news.

We sat watching the various  news reporters telling about the first airplane crash into the Twin Towers.  We were totally stunned when we watched LIVE as the second plane crashed and burst into flames.   We could hardly leave the TV and literally watched the day unfold as the other events occurred during that terrible day.  We have friends who are missionaries who were living in NYC at the time. Campus Crusade jumped into action to help the bereaved as did the Red Cross and many other organizations.  President Bush at the time was certainly a hero to the nation.  The military, the fire departments, the National Guard--all handled themselves with amazing courage and dedication.  I was so proud of them all.  Amid the sorrow and the chaos there was a unity in the nation that has hardly been noticeable these last several years.   Sometimes tragedy draws people, even strangers, together in a way that nothing else can.  Why wait so long to be of help to your neighbor? or to stand together as a nation?


A few years later I read the book Let's Roll by Lisa Beamer, the wife of the man who initiated the passengers of United Flight #93 to prevent the terrorists from crashing into another building, possibly the White House or the Capitol.   If you've never read it, it's a quick read and a moving tale of courage by everyday men and women.  Their bravery makes you proud to be an American.  Mrs. Beamer was honored by President Bush during his address to Congress after  9/11.

September 11 changed many things, particularly security in our nation.  I remember that I had to travel to Boston to be in  a family wedding in early  October that year, just a few weeks after these events. My husband (who didn't really want me to go) and I  decided that I should travel there without the children and him, but be accompanied by my nephews who were also in the wedding. They were both in college at the time.  I remember landing at Logan International and seeing the National Guard with their weapons in the airport.  I had seen this in Venezuela years ago but never in an American airport.   [Update 9.11.11:  Security is still tight but this spring while traveling I did not see any weapons at the airports (Dulles and Atlanta) even though we were on Orange alert.]


I remember the night after the rehearsal dinner (we had all been out too late) the fire alarm went off in our hotel (The Marriott in Quincy) around 3 a.m.  I could not believe it!   My brother and his two sons came to my room  quickly to get me. Everyone scrambled to get down the stairs, an elderly man fell and others helped him get out of the hotel and down all those stairs.  I think we were on the 11th floor.  There had been a kitchen fire but we didn't know that until later.  I remember seeing everyone standing outside in their pajamas wrapped in blankets,  anxious, cold and a bit fearful of what had happened (myself included).  I'm sure the first thought in everyone's mind was--  a terrorist attack here in Quincy, MA?

Everyone will probably be recollecting their memories of 9/11 throughout the day and as the saying goes, Let us not forget.  But as we recall, even though there was great loss and consequently major changes to our lives, also remember that we survived that day as did our children.   Each day is a gift to be lived wisely.  Do not live in fear but  call on the Lord and trust  that His plans and purposes will be fulfilled, regardless of what seems to be earth-shaking events, sorrow or change.   We are here for a reason and for  such a time as this.

Proverbs 14:26 
He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress,
and for his children it will be a refuge.


Romans 12:21 
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this. It's so important that this day doesn't just become another day on the calendar. We must remember.

Eric (the Hubby) said...

I was working for the Government at that time. After 9/11 a group of us had to travel to the submarine base at Groton, CT. All of us had government IDs, but because we were a group of men traveling together we were stopped at every conceivable check point and our luggage was inspected each time. That we worked for the Defense Department and held security clearances made no difference. When we entered the sub base we notices a 50 caliber machine gun pointed at our noses.

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...