Monday, August 31, 2009

FAMILY & FRIENDS: Wedding Costs

Ephesians 3:20-21
Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.

We will be attending a wedding on Friday evening. Each wedding I attend brings back memories of my own 22+ years ago. It was a wonderful celebration. It had the look of a very expensive wedding and reception but in reality was quite economical. My husband and I paid for it ourselves and had a 2-week honeymoon afterwards in addition. As all brides do, I kept a book with ideas, shower gifts, wedding gifts, notes, etc. In the front of the book I also have a special list of Thank You, God... items. It is two pages long of all the things beyond what I would ask or think that occurred either in preparation for our wedding, related to the expenses, or other special joys so that I would always remember them.
One of the items listed is the purchase of my wedding dress. I had a very limited budget--$500 for the entire wedding ensemble (dress, shoes, slip, veil, undergarments, etc.) Try not to laugh out loud. A friend who had been dress shopping with me suggested we go to Park Avenue--every city has one--where the bridal salons have dresses that cost $1,000+. I did laugh at the time. We went and I tried on several dresses, all of which were in the $1,000 - $2,000 price range. The whole time we had been in the dressing room there was a lovely dress hanging on the hook on the door. My friend looked it over carefully and saw the price tag--$100! I tried it on and except for the length, it was a perfect fit. It was sized incorrectly and was on sale. $100 for a beautiful wedding dress with a long train, embroidered bodice and overlay. Unbelievable! Dress $100; Veil $100; Shoes $30; Accessories $50; Alterations $50. The whole ensemble was less than $400. Needless to say we were both thrilled.

If you or someone you love is in the midst of planning a wedding, by all means try to not go into debt for it but rather look for beautiful yet inexpensive ways to enhance everything and be resourceful. Ask the Lord to help you with this in making it a special celebration that will have many happy memories rather than a huge credit card bill when you return from your honeymoon.


No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...