Tuesday, September 1, 2009

FINANCES: Buying Books for Homeschool or College


Proverbs 6:6
Go to the ant, O sluggard, observe her ways and be wise, which, having no chief, officer or ruler, prepares her food in the summer and gathers her provision in the harvest.

Have you priced school books lately? No wonder the public schools don't make their budgets. We have needed lots of books for various subjects in homeschooling over the years. Our local library has a large bookstore with a huge assortment of books and magazines for sale. Many are new but most have been read and donated; some were former library books. I have purchased many of our books there for just a couple of dollars as opposed to $50+ per book. I like buying paperback literature there to be highlighted or written in.

High school and college textbooks are outrageously expensive. If we can't find a book we need to purchase at the library bookstore, we try Bright Light Books, Amazon or eBay. There is another searching site for price comparisons of books called AddALL which is very helpful. Another friend told me about a book rental site that she has used called Chegg. I didn't know you could rent books.

After we finish with a book I resell (or re-donate) it if it is in good condition. I do this every year with school textbooks we use. Our Geometry teacher this year chose a Chalk Dust Geometry book that cost $200+. Ugh! I had an earlier edition of it in my shelves which I sold on eBay for $150 and a Spanish text for $75. My older son also does this to help pay for his college texts. He sometimes sells books for his friends and they split the sales price. I often purchase used textbooks with the intention of selling them to pay for new books that I know we will be needing. By doing this I at least break even in these school expenditures. Homeschooling is wonderful for the family but it is certainly not without costs (literally and figuratively).

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...