Thursday, September 24, 2009

FAMILY & FRIENDS: Hospitality / Baking Bread







Romans 12:10-13
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.


Home cooking. Just those words can make anyone smile. I know my family loves to smell good things coming from the kitchen. I'm an average cook, but am always attempting to learn something new to make. This past weekend a friend picked up a bread machine for me at a yard sale. She bakes bread every day and knows what brands are the best. (They all look the same to me.) The only criteria for me: <$15. She got it for $10. :)

I made my first loaf yesterday and have another baking as I type this to send home with my older son when he comes for dinner tonight. It only took about 15 minutes to put all the ingredients in--milk, water, olive oil, honey, flour, salt and instant yeast. Then you just push a button and voila! 2 hours 50 minutes later, a perfect loaf. Everyone was delighted last night to have fresh-baked bread with their dinner. This machine has about 12 settings for other bread-type things to make as well, or just a batch of dough for pretzels, rolls, etc.


I'm already planning my Christmas gifts this year for the neighbors. When someone has a baby or is sick, a loaf of fresh bread will be a nice addition to the meal I drop off. It is also a treat for dinner guests, both single and married. Thank you, Lord, for this little electric "maidservant" to help me show hospitality.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...