Wednesday, September 2, 2009

FAITH: Contentment with Stuff


Philippians 4:11-13
Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Are you content with what you have? Particularly in the area of your "stuff"? How much is "enough"? If you were to look into your closet right now, how many pairs of shoes, suits, pants and shirts do you have in there? If you look into your garage, how many tools? If you go into your child's room, how many toys? If you look around the house, how many books and magazines? I'll save an article on clutter for another time.

Today the topic is Contentment. I was thinking about this last night and considering buying a new dress for a wedding I'm going to on Friday night. I really don't need another dress as I already have a few plus multiple tops and skirts that I could wear. Everything in my closet fits. There is no need to impress anyone, so where does this "want more" attitude come from? I love this quote from a Crown Ministries article: Christians get trapped into a discontented life by adopting worldly goals: more, bigger, and best. The Bible identifies these as indulgence, greed, and pride. It is what it is although people make jokes about shopping till you drop or when the going gets tough the tough go shopping, etc. The sad thing is that our culture encourages these attitudes regularly. Just go into any mall, watch TV for 30 minutes and notice the commercials or pick up a magazine and skim through the ads. Many are aimed specifically at children and teens and are very enticing.

We all need to be mindful of not just our excessive spending but also on being satisfied with what God has already provided, be thankful for it and to live within our means. Of course there are times when a new purchase is warranted but for some, it's an obsession to have the most current, trendiest, tech-iest, fastest thing on the market today. Think and pray before spending your (or your husband's) hard-earned income and be more generous with what you already have. He really does provide all of our needs and in reality, often graciously gives us many of our wants, too.


No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...