Friday, September 25, 2009

FINANCES: What To Sell On eBay






Proverbs 31:14


She is like merchant ships...

Every now and then I do another article on eBay. This one may give you some ideas of what to sell. As I have mentioned before, the year I turned 50 I took the entire summer and read and practiced selling on eBay. By the time school began again, I was on a roll and had a routine of doing everything needed. Learning by doing is the best way to get the hang of eBay selling.

Here are some of my sales over the last month:
  • Starbucks City Mug, New York Holiday 2006, original price $1.00 (thrift store); SOLD $49.00
  • My Utmost for His Highest book, 1935; orig. price 50 cents (bookstore); SOLD $20.00
  • Disney World Grand Floridian Souvenir Room Key; orig. FREE (yard sale); SOLD $11.59
  • Disney 1st Visit Badge; orig. price FREE (theme park); SOLD $4.99
  • 8 Wm. Rogers Silver Teaspoons & 8 Forks; orig. price $4.00 (thrift store, huge bag of this pattern was $10); SOLD $41.49
  • Apologia Physical Science Book Bundle; orig. price $30 (school book sale, we used it one year, sold it the next); SOLD $50.00
  • Wilson US Open Duffle Bag; orig. price $2.00 (yard sale); SOLD $20.00
  • Military Insignia; orig. price $2.50 (I bought a Ziplock bag full of these at a yard sale); SOLD 4 for $21.49
  • High School Graduation Robe (used by my son 3 years ago); orig. price $15.00; SOLD $15.00
  • Izod Alligator Wastebasket; orig. price $2.00 (thrift store); SOLD $15.00
I tend to sell things that I like and know something about--china, collectibles and books. Occasionally I will sell electronics but since I don't know much about those things, I generally limit those listings. I don't sell clothing from yard sales but I do sell our own like new clothing that I know is clean and stain-free. I'll sell just about anything that I find that is an excellent bargain though. I shop at thrift stores, yard sales and rummage sales for most of my inventory and am always cleaning out closets and drawers, listing some of those items as well. I do draw the line at selling items that Christians should not be involved in. For example, I know that racy pulp fiction and adult "toys" sell but I do not list any of these things.

After one year of selling just auction style, I re-opened my eBay store (I had had one for one Christmas season a few years ago) which costs $15.95 per month with each listing costing only 3 cents per month. Stores are economical IF you have lots of things to sell and really want to have a part-time business. I am at that stage now that my younger son is in high school and does more independent work. One advantage of a business is that you can write-off many housing expenses on your tax return. You can't do that if you only sell occasionally, or as a hobby. If you are only selling a few items, the weekly auction price of 35 cents per listing is probably better for you. A recap of eBay's auction fee structure is here. A recap of store fees is at this link.

Try it and see if this would be a fun part-time business for you. Our whole family gets involved. My husband loves to go to yard sales with me on Saturday mornings and it's an easy way for kids to earn money by reselling their things they have outgrown or no longer use as well. It's a great way to earn extra money. I've saving for Christmas shopping now.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...