Thursday, September 10, 2009

FAMILY & FRIENDS: Exercise




Proverbs 31:17
She girds herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I've started walking in the mornings (Monday-Friday) again. I had stopped several months ago when my left knee was quite swollen and sore (a little bit of arthritis already!). I figured that if I can walk in this Florida heat, I can walk any time of year. I try to get out the door between 7:30-7:45 a.m. on weekday mornings before the sun gets too high. I wear my iPod shuffle so I can listen to my favorite podcasts. This week my husband and I started walking at 8:00 p.m. as well. His doctor has told him he has got to lose 30 pounds over the next year so I am trying to help him by getting out and walking with him (a second time for me this week).

For the month of August I lost 6 pounds. My doctor wants me to lose 12 pounds this year so I'm halfway there already. My BMI was slightly higher than it should be (Normal weight = 18.5-24.9). I'm also following the Fit For Life routine of eating only fruit or drinking fruit smoothies until noon to help my digestion which seems to be working very well for me. My metabolism is quite slow normally and it gives my evening meal longer to digest fully before putting more food on top of it. My younger son and I also go to the YMCA 2x a week where I use the FitLinxx weight machines. I probably wouldn't go except for him and the fact that we have a family membership. Once I'm back home I'm always glad I went.

I encourage everyone reading this to get a little physical exercise every day. Encourage your family and friends to do the same. Even if someone is thin, their heart still needs some exercise. I don't believe in "no pain, no gain" but I do believe that every small amount of exercise you do all adds up to strengthen your heart and keep your weight under control. We don't know how long we will live but I'd certainly like to live well without medication and be able to stay active in my later years.

3 comments:

susieloulou said...

Wow - you are doing lots of exercise. I love how you post every day so there's always something new here - keeps me coming back!

Mrs. T. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. T. said...

Thanks for following my blog. I just write from everyday life! :)

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...