Thursday, September 3, 2009

FAMILY & FRIENDS: Making Your Family Feel Special #1




Psalm 139:13
For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb.

Does your family know how special they are to you? Do you tell them so regularly? Are there any special touches that family members like so they know you value them as individuals? There are so many little things that we can do, most of which are so small you might think "who cares?" but are really noticed by the one the touch is for. I'll use my family of four to illustrate.

My husband likes to have a cup of ice water by the side of the bed before going to sleep at night. I actually just started doing this recently (I like ice water, too). He has commented and even thanked me many times for doing this. It was such a small thing, but he noticed I did something just for him and no one else. One of our sons prefers that the ice in his beverages be in cubes rather than crushed and really appreciates it when I make his glass different from everyone else's with cubes rather than crushed ice (the other is starting to mimic this lately). Our other son really likes it when I go shopping and pick up oranges at the store. Hardly anyone else eats them in our house. Three very small details that some may look at as spoiling the family; I look at it as having studied them and showing them that I noticed that although we are in the same family, we are each different from one another and like different things.

What do they notice about me? I love old sappy TV shows like Touched by an Angel and Little House on the Prairie, and yes, they do occasionally sit and watch an episode with me. That makes me feel special, too. :)

How are you showing your love and valuing the uniqueness in each of your family members? It takes being a student of those you care most about--watching and learning all the time. Moms are in the best position of all to be able to do this. Trust me, they will respond in many positive ways by your being a servant and doing these little acts of love.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...