Monday, September 21, 2009

FAMILY & FRIENDS: Love Between Brothers


Psalm 133: 1
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together in unity!

My older son (age 20) did something today that absolutely warmed my heart. He invited his younger brother (almost 15) to spend the day with him sometime this week. As you know, our older one moved out of our home to share a house with some college friends closer to school on August 1. The adjustment has been the hardest for me, but I think our younger son misses him as well. Although we see him every other week or so and talk or email even more often, it is not the same as him living with us and seeing him every day. I was just delighted when he invited his younger brother to spend some time with just him.

How did this happen? Why do they have a good relationship? There is a 5-year age gap between them, so there never has been what I would call sibling rivalry. The older one has always looked after and protected the younger one and I have always encouraged him to do so. They shared a bedroom when they were very young for 3 1/2 years. After that they have had their own bedrooms next door to each other. Homeschooling has helped tremendously since we would all be home together from the time my older son was in the 5th grade. They did field trips together, had many friends in common through our church and neighbors, ate almost all their meals together, played together and have enjoyed many of the same interests. We have never allowed them to roughhouse with each other as I have seen in other families. It's shocking for me to see brothers beat the tar out of each other and I don't think it's helpful to their relationship or with the rest of their families.

It has always been a "mission" for me for them to be at least as close as my brother and I are even to this day and we're in our 50's. I have specifically prayed for them to be good friends as well as brothers and also to love each other well. Parents usually die before their children and I have tried to instill in them that one day when they are older, they will probably be each other's best friend and thankful that they have each other, regardless of their own families. This is a legacy that I hope they instill in their own children. For now, I will just rejoice in their relationship. :) :) (Photo above is when they were 9 and 4 years old.)

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...