Thursday, September 17, 2009

FAMILY & FRIENDS: What's For Dinner?

Proverbs 31:15
She rises also while it is still night and gives food to her household and portions to her maidens.

I'm still waiting on the "maidens" part. :)

What's for dinner tonight? Don't we all tremble at those words? My kitchen goal this year is, for the most part, to plan a week's worth of menus each Sunday or Monday and grocery shop / stock up on Tuesday. Seven days worth of main courses is the hard part; side dishes are easy. I keep each evening's dinner on my computer calendar and can easily check that I'm not repeating too often. Here are three of my favorite cooking websites that are extremely helpful when I don't know what to prepare for dinner. They even have a feature that lets me enter what ingredients I have on hand and it then lists what you can make with them. Absolutely amazing!
  1. All Recipes.com http://allrecipes.com/
  2. Betty Crocker http://www.bettycrocker.com/
  3. Taste of Home http://www.tasteofhome.com/Search/Advanced
What are my menus for this week?
  • Sunday / Stir-fry chicken, vegetables and rice
  • Monday / Lasagna, salad, watermelon
  • Tuesday / Crockpot pork roast, carrots, mushrooms, mashed potatoes
  • Wednesday / BBQ sandwiches (made from roast), avocados, fruit
  • Thursday / Snacks (everyone's out tonight)
  • Friday / Homemade Beef & Veggies Pot Pie
  • Saturday / Chicken Divan (chicken, broccoli, curry, cheese casserole)
Save yourself some stress at the 5:00 p.m. panic hour. Plan ahead, shop ahead and settle down while preparing your family a nice home-cooked meal. They love it. As long as you're in the kitchen, make a little extra for the freezer or to take a meal to someone who needs one.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...