Wednesday, September 16, 2009

FAITH: Getting a Good Night's Sleep







Psalm 121:2-8
My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade on your right hand. The sun will not smite you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul. The LORD will guard your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forever.

I know so many people who have difficulty sleeping. My husband is one of them. He hears absolutely every sound there is to hear while I sleep through the night once my head hits the pillow. I have even slept through the space shuttle flying over and shaking the windows in the house. I am so thankful that I am able to get the rest I need. I think I would be physically sick if I did not so I empathize with those who don't sleep well.

Nightly routines can help you sleep. I usually go to bed by 11 p.m. since I'm up at 6 or 6:30 a.m. each day. About 9 or 10 p.m. I read for awhile or work a Sudoku or crossword puzzle and have a hot drink, either tea or coffee, sometimes a light snack. I've conditioned myself that this is my bedtime ritual so that when I lie down to sleep, it comes quickly.

Lots of things keep us awake. Sometimes it can be a physical or medical issue, in which case, be certain to see a doctor. Several of our men friends have sleep apnea yet with the aid of a breathing mask, generally sleep well and feel much better now. If it is anxiety that keeps you awake, as it is with many, ponder and trust in the verses above. I DVRed one of the 9/11 History Channel specials on Friday night and watched it over the weekend, reliving that dreadful day in our country. If it were not for my trust in the Lord for His protection and watchcare over me and my family during those shocking weeks after Sept. 11, 2001, I would not have been able to sleep, but I remember that I did. Parents tend to worry when a child is out late or when an older one moves out of the home. It's good to know that Someone is awake ALL night long watching and protecting those He loves, who trust in Him alone for their salvation. Rest easy. He is watching over each of His children and loves ours even more than we do.


UPDATE 7.31.12:
Some new suggestions for improving sleep are drinking unsweetened cherry juice and taking a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses before going to bed.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...