Tuesday, August 18, 2009

FINANCES: Home Businesses for Moms


Proverbs 31:16-18
She considers a field and buys it; from her earnings she plants a vineyard. She girds herself with strength and makes her arms strong. She senses that her gain is good; her lamp does not go out at night.

I have a part-time home business, in fact I have two. I teach piano lessons to adults and children and I sell items on eBay and Amazon.com. Both are very lucrative and can add variable amounts of income to our family budget depending on how much time I spend on each. The tax write-offs alone are worth looking into having even a part-time home business. Our accountant had me calculate how many square feet in our home is used for each business and that percentage of the house and many of its expenses can be recorded as tax deductions. We generally use my part-time earnings for family events, meals out, movies, homeschool expenses, gifts (weddings, graduation, missions)... one year I even paid for a family vacation to Washington State and British Columbia. The key is to find something that you really enjoy that works for you and your family. Both of my businesses are scheduled around my younger son's class schedule and our active lives. When my older son played Varsity basketball in high school, I scaled way back on piano lessons to accommodate attending all his games. I can list an eBay item in about 5 minutes including the photo(s) now that I have a system worked out that makes it a smooth process. I encourage every mom at home to do something like this when the season is right and teach your children to do the same. They won't always be at home with you and it's good to keep alert and marketable in these economic times.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...