Tuesday, August 25, 2009

FINANCES: Haircuts


Proverbs 31:27
She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.

Have you priced haircuts lately? I've seen them with coupons from $5.00 to $50+, just for an adult haircut only. Normally I go to Everybody's Haircuts every 6-8 weeks for about $21. Today I tried Great Clips with a $6.99 coupon. It was a great cut but the stylist was about the rudest woman I've ever talked to at a salon. Won't be going there again. At our house, I cut everyone else's hair--my two sons' and my husband's--about every 4 weeks. I have been doing this for at least 10 years and have replaced my haircut trimmer set once. They cost between $20-$40 at Wal-Mart and you can often find them on sale. I got a videotape from our local library for free and learned from watching it how to layer and trim men's hair. No buzzes in our family although a friend who has been cutting hair for her 4 sons and husband longer than I have says when she makes a mistake, that's what she does. My family would be extremely upset if they ended up with military cut. I've been cutting hair so long now that it's pretty easy and a great way to save $$. Let's do the math--3 haircuts every 4 weeks (13 per year) for 10 years @ $5.00 -$16.00 each is a savings of $1,950-$6,240 for the last 10 years. That's the cost of a good used car or a really nice vacation! It's well worth the time to learn how to do this regularly for your family. I wish someone in my family would learn how to cut mine, too!

1 comment:

susieloulou said...

Me, too! Been married 28 years now, always cut my husband's, first son till he was 18 or so, second son still (he's 17) and daughters until they got too picky about style. I wish someone would learn even to trim mine!!!

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...