Monday, August 10, 2009

FAMILY & FRIENDS: Weekly Menus

Psalm 145:15

The eyes of all look to You,

And You give them their food in due time.


Well here it is Monday afternoon. Do you know what your family will be eating this week? I generally sit down on Mondays and look through the freezer and frig and plan the week's menus. This has helped me SO much in not overspending, having nutritious foods and avoiding the panic hour of 5:00-6:00 p.m. wondering what to prepare. I keep a calendar in the kitchen with what everyone is doing so I know who will be here for supper. In addition to that I have a calendar on our computer with what I make for supper to watch that I'm not making the same things over and over (except for absolute favorites).

Breakfast foods are always on hand--waffles, cereals, fruit, yogurt, eggs, grits. My husband takes his lunch at least 3x a week so I plan for that as well. He likes the Healthy Choice frozen meals (which I stock up on when they are on sale) to manage his portions rather than pack leftovers. My other son and I eat smaller portions so there's usually something already made in the refrigerator for us for lunch. I'm getting used to cooking for three rather than four so there aren't so many leftovers, but if there are and it's something that freezes well, I store it away for a later lunch, quick supper, send home with my other son when he visits, or take a meal to someone who needs one. We have an upright freezer in our laundry room. Here are my menus for this week:
  • Monday--steak (left from cookout), mashed potatoes, green beans
  • Tuesday--taco salad
  • Wednesday--chicken & vegetable soup, blueberry muffins
  • Thursday--black beans & yellow rice, broccoli
  • Friday--stir fry over rice
  • Saturday--dinner out
  • Friday--leftovers or pizza
Take 20 minutes or so to look through your pantry, freezer and refrigerator and plan your meals for the entire week. It really is a daily timesaver and stress reducer which we all need.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...