Tuesday, August 4, 2009

FINANCES: Christmas Gift Giving


Go to the ant, O sluggard,
Observe her ways and be wise,
Which, having no chief,
Officer or ruler,
Prepares her food in the summer
And gathers her provision in the harvest.
Proverbs 6: 6-8

Christmas conversation in August? Christmas is about 20 weeks away. Are you beginning to save for it? or already shopping in advance for it? Many people go into debt in the extreme for Christmas gifts. We purchase a fair amount of gifts for our immediate family, one grandparent (the others are deceased), my nephews and their kids, and a few friends. For friends and extended family, I keep a drawer of gifts stocked from thrift store shopping, yard sale-ing, and good sales that I see. Bed Bath and Beyond is one of my favorite gift stores due to their 20% or $5 off coupons. I purchase items new with tags generally for this (also for birthdays). I personally love homemade gifts since time is more precious than cash to me. As I have time I may make note cards or other small gifts or buy flowers in bulk and arrange in inexpensive vases. I set aside a portion of my part-time business income (piano lessons and eBay sales) for Christmas gifts as well. Let's face it, as children get older, the things they need are sometimes more expensive.

Our wrapping paper, tissue and cards were purchased last year after Christmas and I have limited the number that I send, primarily just to relatives now. The number we had been sending was getting out of hand and with postage now at 43 cents an envelope...it was creeping into our budget.

I encourage our sons to give away things they no longer use to make room for new things and also to do some eBay sales themselves to earn money for the gifts they want to purchase. The older one has a job and the younger one can do outside chores for cash as well.

A little math if you save a little each week from now until Christmas:
  • $5 / week = $100
  • $10 / week = $200
  • $15 / week = $300
  • $20 / week = $400
It adds up quickly and can help avoid the January depression when the credit card bill comes in. Commit to do this today and you'll be pretty much stress free when shopping time comes around.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...