Friday, August 28, 2009

FINANCES: Car Insurance



Proverbs 31:27
She looks well to the ways of her household...

In mid-July I spent about 2 weeks researching car insurance companies. Not my favorite activity and I had really put it off much later than I had planned. I am on a continuing mission to save $$ in our household so this was part of that mission. Our car insurance was coming up for renewal in mid-August so I wanted to be ready when they sent us the renewal notice. I had not done a cost comparison previously and I wanted to make sure we were getting the best value for our money.

Some of the companies I called: AAA, Geico, Liberty Mutual, Allstate, State Farm, AARP, UCF, Disney, USAA, Travelers...about a dozen in all since some firms handle several. USAA would have been excellent if we had qualified--an immediate family member must have been in the military. So if you have been in the service, you can get your whole family covered, even grown children who do not live with you. Travelers Insurance (in Florida) who has carried our car insurance for the last 5 years won hands down as the least expensive even with a younger driver in the household. We definitely renewed our policy with them. The other insurance companies did not even come close in comparison. In fact, since our older son has been driving, our rates that initially went up to add him, have gone down each year. He is now 20 years old, has a good student record (GPA) and thankfully, has had no car accidents. We require that he pay half of his portion which is $36 per month, very economical for a college student. We'll be teaching our younger son who will be fifteen in October to drive this year but you don't have to add a driver to your policy until he actually receives his driver's license at age 16 or older.

Don't believe everything you hear on TV about ____ having the best insurance rates. They probably don't. Saving money on the big items that are necessities, particularly those that have monthly payments really adds up. Take some time and do a little homework. We saved several hundred dollars this year by shopping around.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...