Friday, August 14, 2009

FINANCES: Yard Sales


Proverbs 16:9
The mind of man plans his way,
But the LORD directs his steps

I love a good bargain. I love the thrill of the hunt for things for our family, for gifts (new with tags only) and for eBay resale items. I usually prefer to shop alone at these to sort items my head of what I'm looking for--family items, gifts and/or eBay resale items. It's a great way to stretch your budget dollars and helps me be a good steward of our finances. Here is one of my favorite stories of God's provision for us through a neighborhood yard sale:

I had been praying for a Vita-Mix to make healthy smoothies, add more fiber and veggies to our diet, etc. They retail between $500-$600. I was at a neighborhood yard sale and saw some Juice Plus vitamins for sale. I thought that was the next best thing to a Vita-Mix so I bought a case for $2 (they are quite expensive normally). That same day I was chatting with another neighbor about this and she offered me her Vita-Mix Super 5000 for $150. That's still a lot of money for a kitchen appliance, but I bought it anyway. It had only been used once or twice and even included a cookbook and a dry container for grinding flour, coffee beans, etc. I couldn't believe that she didn't want it anymore. I didn't need both the vitamins and the Vita-Mix so I listed the Juice Plus in my eBay store and sold the case for $100. My practically new Vita-Mix only cost $50. God provided amazingly for a very specific prayer which was so encouraging to us. What are you praying specifically for AND watching to see how He will provide?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just found your blog and read back a long way - love it! Bookmarked it! Thanks.

Mrs. T. said...

Thank you. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...