Wednesday, August 26, 2009

FAITH: Praying for Others


James 5:16
Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

Our church has a directory of its members and regular attendees as most churches do. This summer one was published dividing the total number of families into 7 groups (about a dozen per group), one for each day of the week in order to help in praying for one another more regularly. My husband is an elder so he has been doing this for awhile but I just began when the lists were made available to everyone. I generally read my Bible in the mornings and choose a scripture passage to pray for the people in the group for that day. This week, for variety, I decided I would email each group each day and tell them what I had prayed for them. Here is what I prayed for each on Tuesday. I was amazed at the number of responses I received back. I even got a phone call from a young man in another state who said it was exactly what he needed on that day and asked if I knew what had been going on in his life. We cannot underestimate the power of prayer and its impact on people, particularly when we pray scripture (His written Word and will) back to the Lord. Just knowing that someone is praying for me is such an encouragement and something we all need every day. If you prayed something specific for someone today, tell them so. It will strengthen their faith and bless you as well.

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...