Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hot Summer Treats : Make Your Own Popsicles

How many of us enjoyed popsicles in the summer when we were kids?  It was always a favorite treat in our home when I was growing up and when my kids were little as well.  We'd often eat them outside in the heat.     As we've gotten older, we have "refined" our tastes to gelato  [we love Jeremiah's Ice], smoothies, Edy's frozen fruit bars, Cold Stone Creamery... but the taste of a plain old popsicle is still quite nice.

Recently at a yard sale I found this Tupperware popsicle maker for 50 cents!  I thought about selling it on Ebay but I really liked the cheery colors so I kept it for us.


I washed it (although I don't think it had ever been used) and poured some fruit juice in to make 6 popsicles.   It took about 2-3 hours to freeze.



Even if you use a sugary beverage to make them, it's only 4 oz. which isn't going to ruin anyone's diet.    I used cranberry/pomegranate juice in some and V8 Splash in the others.   Next time I make smoothies I'll pour a few popsicles.  Try doing this using some type of plastic container  and craft sticks. I'm sure it would work just as well.


Mmmm.... everyone here loved them.   Sometimes simpler, IS better and DEFINITELY less expensive.  :)

No comments:

Parsley "Tea": A Natural Diuretic

Parsley "Tea" I was walking with my daughter-in-law this morning and thought I had posted about this here... such a great tip when...